Sunday, December 16, 2012

An Open Letter to My Neighbors Whose Lawn Chairs are on Their Roof this Morning

-->
Dear Neighbors Whose Lawn Chairs are on Their Roof this Morning:

            I write you for a couple of reasons. The first is a congratulations on a party well done. Despite the fact that your roof slopes at a dangerous angle and the number of empty beer cans littering your property leads me to believe your coordination skills were subpar, watching the fireworks from atop your house was an ingenious idea. The thrill of being so high (perhaps in more ways than one) coupled with the colorful light show in the sky must have made for quite the experience.
            I can only imagine the fun of being chocolate wasted on a warm summer night on a rooftop with some of my closest friends. The alcohol consumption and the company would’ve been fun enough. The fireworks, a bonus. But bravo to the mastermind behind the rickety fold-up chairs on top of your half of the duplex. I know it was a slamming party, and I can only wish I’d have been a part of it.

Which brings me to my next reason for writing you: Why the heck didn’t you invite me? I’ve only been living here since you moved in, and as a young, cute college girl, I see no reason for being left out of the fun. I know we haven’t exactly become “friends” since you moved into the neighborhood, but frankly, I think this late-night fiesta would’ve been the perfect opportunity to do so. Especially because in your intoxication, your inhibitions would’ve been significantly lowered, and I would’ve seemed to be the perfect companion. One of you may have even tried to kiss me. Or challenge me to a dance-off. We can never know for sure.
            So congrats on the party. Glad you had a good time. But just so you know, next time I throw a big drunken fireworks-watching-on-my-house gala, you are not on the guest list. And for the record, all the old people in the neighborhood think you guys are idiots.

                                    - Britney

No comments:

Post a Comment